Please use this reference as a guide throughout your Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) therapy. It will provide you with valuable information on how to keep your equipment in good condition and functioning at an optimal level. Also included is a replacement schedule for all of your CPAP supplies and information about our free trial program. It is important to keep all equipment clean, and to replace it regularly to receive the best possible benefits from therapy.
The first several nights of CPAP can be challenging for some clients. It is important to continue using your machine every night, as the benefits of using CPAP far outweigh the risks of not using it. Also, since CPAP is a treatment and not a cure, all symptoms may return after only one night of not using your machine.
It is also important to keep note of any new symptoms you are experiencing when you first begin CPAP therapy. There are usually simple changes that can be made to alleviate any discomfort. Also, if any symptoms that you experienced prior to therapy re-emerge at any point after beginning CPAP, you should contact the CPAP office - changes to your pressure may need to be made.
All of our devices come with a 3-year manufacturer’s warranty. If at any time you feel your CPAP system may be malfunctioning, contact the CPAP office as soon as possible. Do not try to fix the unit yourself.
Lastly, do not hesitate to contact your nearest MEDichair store at any time. We are here to answer any questions you may have regarding your CPAP treatment.
CPAP Cleaning and Care
Each night, prior to using your CPAP, wash your face to remove excess facial oil which may build up on your mask and affect the seal.
- Wash in warm water and mild detergent. Rinse well in clean water. Allow to air dry out of sunlight.
- DETERGENT: Mild pure soaps that are hypoallergenic or environmentally friendly should be used. Never use oils, bleach or chlorine, moisturizing or anti-bacterial soaps. These products will damage your equipment.
Clean mask daily to provide a quality seal and maximum benefit.
- Drain any leftover water after use. Do not leave water in chamber longer than one week.
- Refill with distilled water before next use.
- Clean water chamber weekly.
Tubing/Coarse Filter (Grey)
- Clean tubing/coarse filter weekly.
- Clean headgear weekly
- DO NOT bleach or machine wash/dry
Fine Filter (White)
- Colour of fine filter should be checked often to determine if it needs to be changed before one month.• Dispose of fine filter, and replace with new one.
- Make a solution of 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water. Make enough solution to completely submerge equipment. Soak equipment for a minimum of 30 minutes in this solution. Rinse well with clean water, shake, and let air dry out of direct sunlight.
- Use commercially prepared CPAP cleaners (wipe/spray).
CPAP Replacement Schedule
- Mask: 6-12 months
- Tubing: 6-12 months
- Course Filter: 6 months
- Fine Filter: 1 month
- Chin Strap: 6-12 months
- Water Chamber: 12 months
- CPAP Machine: 5 years
CPAP Trial Program
Initial CPAP Setup:
Following initial setup, you are given a trial period to use your new equipment. During this time, you can decide whether or not you will continue with treatment. If you wish to return your equipment at the end of this trial period, there are no fees.
Mask Trial Program:
In order to ensure proper fit and comfort, we offer a mask trial program. This allows you up to one week to take any mask home to determine whether or not it is right for you. If you wish to try another, the previously used mask is simply exchanged for another.
Article submitted by Dalas Forget. Owner of MEDIchair Temiskaming in New Liskeard, and Kirkland Lake, Ontario.